Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID
Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

In this Discussion

What can those Cheap VPSes do?
New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

What can those Cheap VPSes do?

I have to admit that paying for cheap VPSes is addictive. Whenever I found a cheap VPSes I just want to get it, whether I will use them or not. What would you do with those cheap VPSes? I don't want my cheap VPSes to lie idle.

Tagged:

Comments

  • Instead of multiple cheap vps take a nice dedi that way you can have multiple vps :)

    Looking for Dedi EU Based 16+GB/1TB+/100Mbp+/5 IPs Max 30$

  • GTHostGTHost Member, Provider

    maybe it's time to buy cheap servers? ))))

    GTHost.com - Instant Dedicated Servers - Chicago, LA, Miami, Toronto, Frankfurt. E3 v3 from $49/mo. Ready in 10 mins.
    New locations coming soon: New York, Dallas . Looking Glass

  • Chad said: I don't want my cheap VPSes to lie idle.

    You must be new here...

    No seriously, some things I do with mine:

    • vpn
    • web serving (php+fpm, nodejs, etc.)
    • mail gateway
    • desktop in the sky
    • tentacle hentai animation rendering
    • linux development
    • backup/storage
    • plex

    My Advice: VPS Advice

    For LET support, please click here.

    Thanked by 2sipe perryoo11
  • @Frame said: Instead of multiple cheap vps take a nice dedi that way you can have multiple vps :)

    but that requires lot of knowledge (i guess) and multiple ips.

  • ChadChad Member
    edited November 2017

    @Frame said: Instead of multiple cheap vps take a nice dedi that way you can have multiple vps :)

    Then I will have multiple idle vps...

    Thanked by 1jetchirag
  • ChadChad Member
    edited November 2017

    @raindog308 said:

    Chad said: I don't want my cheap VPSes to lie idle.

    You must be new here...

    No seriously, some things I do with mine:

    • vpn
    • web serving (php+fpm, nodejs, etc.)
    • mail gateway
    • desktop in the sky
    • tentacle hentai animation rendering
    • linux development
    • backup/storage
    • plex

    cool! It's just what I had in mind :) ps:what does the "desktop in the sky" means

  • Chad said: ps:what does the "desktop in the sky" means

    Create a VPS with a desktop GUI (Linux or Windows) and remote into it. No matter where you are, that desktop will always be the same. It's not useful in all scenarios but some like it.

    My Advice: VPS Advice

    For LET support, please click here.

    Thanked by 1jaypeesmith
  • mkshmksh Member
    edited November 2017

    x2go?

    @raindog308 said: Create a VPS with a desktop GUI (Linux or Windows) and remote into it. No matter where you are, that desktop will always be the same. It's not useful in all scenarios but some like it.

    It's a life saver when you are stuck with ancient hardware but have a usable (>16kb/s) internet connection.

  • @Chad said:

    @Frame said: Instead of multiple cheap vps take a nice dedi that way you can have multiple vps :)

    Then I will have multiple idle vps...

    Wrong, if you have multiple vps you have lot of them idle, if you buy a dedi you just create vps when you need

    Looking for Dedi EU Based 16+GB/1TB+/100Mbp+/5 IPs Max 30$

  • @seenu said:

    @Frame said: Instead of multiple cheap vps take a nice dedi that way you can have multiple vps :)

    but that requires lot of knowledge (i guess) and multiple ips. No so much knowledge, using an hypervisor is not so difficoult

    Looking for Dedi EU Based 16+GB/1TB+/100Mbp+/5 IPs Max 30$

  • VPN's and storage is a great way to make them feel useful

  • deankdeank Member
    edited November 2017

    Cheap VPS are very useful in attacking webhosts as well. Buy one, let it idle for a bit and then blame its webhost for apparently horrible performance while spending shit ton of energy asking for a refund on his 1 dollar VPS => LET drama.

    The end is nigh. Why? Because the end is actually nigh.

    PMS : The way we are meant to go mad.

    Thanked by 1kh81
  • for example I use cheap VPS for DNS servers for my hosting, also I have my own jabber server, and also backup, backup, backup, lots of backup ;)

  • everything you imaging but then less strong

    |post4vps| for a free vps for your developement| me |

  • I have a fun game to do when ever I reach too many idling VPSs.

    I start monero miner with each of them and see whos the last provider standing.

  • JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited November 2017

    Idle VPSes are essentially useless.

    If you host a website nobody cares about, that equals pretty much useless.

    If you host a website people care about, it's pirated and you'll get kicked, that equals useless.

    If you try to utilize the cpu for mining or finding legal aliens like [email protected], you'll get kicked for resource abuse, that equals useless as well.

    Hosting your desktop on a vps is like... I don't have words for it.

    All the rest fun is considered illegal, therefore useless for that too.

    The only two remaining options, but limited for light usage are dns and vpn.

    If you have a particular project that you need hosted you can do that too, but that's purposeful buying and not an idle vps.

    The best thing to do with an idle VPS is to cancel it before the next renewal date, You can do something else with your money and not pay for almost nothing. Also make a mental note - to not do the same mistake again.

    Thanked by 1southy
  • @Janevski said: Idle VPSes are essentially useless.

    If you host a website nobody cares about, that equals pretty much useless.

    If you host a website people care about, it's pirated and you'll get kicked, that equals useless.

    If you try to utilize the cpu for mining or finding legal aliens like [email protected], you'll get kicked for resource abuse, that equals useless as well.

    Hosting your desktop on a vps is like... I don't have words for it.

    All the rest fun is considered illegal, therefore useless for that too.

    The only two remaining options, but limited for light usage are dns and vpn.

    If you have a particular project that you need hosted you can do that too, but that's purposeful buying and not an idle vps.

    The best thing to do with an idle VPS is to cancel it before the next renewal date, You can do something else with your money and not pay for almost nothing. Also make a mental note - to not do the same mistake again.

    stop being so reasonable...

  • @Janevski Heathen!

    I won't be back until @bsdguy is released.

  • HostlovinHostlovin Member
    edited November 2017

    I care about my website, my idle vps, and im triggered

  • @Hostlovin said: I care about my website, my idle vps, and im triggered

  • @Janevski said: Also make a mental note - to not do the same mistake again.

    Got ya! For a moment there I thought you are actually serious! Until your last sentence.

  • EdmondEdmond Member without signature

    Well VPS can do a lot of things, like hosting your website or game server. But majority of LET likes to idle them.

  • williewillie Member, Moderator

    IDLE POWER!!!

  • WSSWSS Member
    edited November 2017

    If you set them up properly, you can often get better redundancy and services split across several cheaper-than-renting-bare-hardware. Of course, this means you need to rent from either a large, or knowledgeable service.

    I have my DNS split across a couple VPS geolocated in different spots of the world, along with backup MX, and decided upon a cheap VPS for the majority of my web services. By doing this, my expenses are roughly 10% of what I was paying mid-year.

    I won't be back until @bsdguy is released.

  • If you enjoy collecting low end VPS, make sure IonSwitch is on your list.

  • @marson said: for example I use cheap VPS for DNS servers for my hosting, also I have my own jabber server, and also backup, backup, backup, lots of backup ;)

    how can you use vps for DNS...currently i am using DO mostly

  • @seenu said: how can you use vps for DNS...currently i am using DO mostly

    actually configuring bind by hand is not so difficult and then make it authoritative by each other, you can also install ready-made solutions like cpanel DNSOnly or DirectSlave if you using appropriate control panel on main server.

  • Most of my cheap annuals are VPN's, I tend to have each of my VPNs chained through others (for fun, not tin foil hat reasons).

    One of them is a status monitor for the rest and the Dedi & cPanel KVM I have.

    Security Consultant

  • @marson said:

    @seenu said: how can you use vps for DNS...currently i am using DO mostly

    actually configuring bind by hand is not so difficult and then make it authoritative by each other, you can also install ready-made solutions like cpanel DNSOnly or DirectSlave if you using appropriate control panel on main server.

    For fucks' sake. It's 2017. Stop suggesting bind. We have options now.

    I won't be back until @bsdguy is released.

  • WSS said: For fucks' sake. It's 2017. Stop suggesting bind. We have options now.

    Can you make some suggestions?

  • @WSS said: For fucks' sake. It's 2017. Stop suggesting bind. We have options now.

    What's wrong with bind? Seriously, OK, it can be insecure and file-based instead of DB, but it can be chrooted, isolated by separated VM or even use geographically dispersed cheap VPSes like I do.

    Also, please keep in mind, that if we talking about DirectAdmin control panel it can be difficult to incorporate better solution such as PowerDNS, I know that cpanel support PowerDNS, but DA is not.

  • WSSWSS Member
    edited November 2017

    @atheros said:

    WSS said: For fucks' sake. It's 2017. Stop suggesting bind. We have options now.

    Can you make some suggestions?

    Absolutely, but the spergs' on WikiPederast seem to have done a great job, already.

    For instance, there is nsd, which is bind zone compatible, and the config is incredibly simple. I literally replaced BIND within 3 hours with no prior experience with the product. Years later, it's still one of my favorite low-footprint secure-transfer capable products.

    I may look into Knot-DNS next due to it's featureset.

    @marson said:

    @WSS said: For fucks' sake. It's 2017. Stop suggesting bind. We have options now.

    What's wrong with bind? Seriously, OK, it can be insecure and file-based instead of DB, but it can be chrooted, isolated by separated VM or even use geographically dispersed cheap VPSes like I do.

    You can do the same with sendmail- but it's still shit software. Replacing it with Postfix, exim, et al, is what most have chosen to do.

    I managed BIND for years, and I think I'd prefer to handle an Exchange service, if that tells you anything. Does it work? Yes. Is it exploitable somewhere? Generally. Is it painful? Quite.

    I won't be back until @bsdguy is released.

  • @raindog308 said:

    Chad said: ps:what does the "desktop in the sky" means

    Create a VPS with a desktop GUI (Linux or Windows) and remote into it. No matter where you are, that desktop will always be the same. It's not useful in all scenarios but some like it.

    Absolutely. My job blocks a ton of ports so, I just use Teamviewer to get to a remote desktop when I need to administer other servers of mine.

  • vanhelsvanhels Member
    edited November 2017

    what do you think of dnsmanager.cc, powerdns @wss

  • Well, we could create some kind of LET cloud storage.

    When we would get enough servers together. P2P, encrypted.

    Thanked by 1jackhadrill
  • idling

  • @vanhels Use what works for you, but do some research and see what you're getting into.

    I won't be back until @bsdguy is released.

  • @wss thanks for your advice, I've worked with bind, powerdns, earl-dns, and one of my vps the provider has an interface like dnsmanager I think it works with bind I'm not sure, the first time I hear from nsd, I read a bit and they say it's excellent for the memory consumption apart from being compatible with the settings of bind zones, and quiet I do not care at all to say that I am new to let, the idea is to learn, thanks for your recommendation with nsd.

  • nsd literally reads and uses BIND zone format to make it easier to migrate to. I've got 100 zones running in about 30MB, not that it ever grows much when slashdotted. 3 of the top root servers use it, and the others are so political that might get nsd by 2032. Maybe.

    PowerDNS never really drew me due to overhead and being a completely-different design. With nsd, I only did initially after rechecking djbdns because it- supports ipv6, doesn't need custom created text entries to handle things made after the 90s, wasn't so bizarre to migrate to with a completely different ideology, subsystem, and a product to fork it as a daemon, et al..

    Long story short, we use what we're comfortable with, but blindly suggesting "the most well known"/"it's been around forever" is rarely the best case in our current internet.

    I won't be back until @bsdguy is released.

    Thanked by 1vanhels
  • I think I'm going to create a free host that offers multiple packages and options, but doesn't actually provide a VPS. You can go into the panel and buy something, reimage it, change the hostname, etc. but it's all virtual. All you get is the knowledge that you have 2c/4G/100G/2TB idling and if you don't really, what's the difference?

    It'll be ridiculous cheap (maybe only accept a LET cryptocoin?) and completely explicit: "You are buying a VPS to idle. That's all you're allowed to do with it. Free backups."

    My Advice: VPS Advice

    For LET support, please click here.

    Thanked by 3MasonR WSS willie
  • MasonRMasonR Moderator

    @raindog308 said: I think I'm going to create a free host that offers multiple packages and options, but doesn't actually provide a VPS. You can go into the panel and buy something, reimage it, change the hostname, etc. but it's all virtual. All you get is the knowledge that you have 2c/4G/100G/2TB idling and if you don't really, what's the difference?

    It'll be ridiculous cheap (maybe only accept a LET cryptocoin?) and completely explicit: "You are buying a VPS to idle. That's all you're allowed to do with it. Free backups."

  • @raindog308 said: It'll be ridiculous cheap (maybe only accept a LET cryptocoin?) and completely explicit: "You are buying a VPS to idle. That's all you're allowed to do with it. Free backups."

    Nah, take PayPal too, but ban China.

    I won't be back until @bsdguy is released.

  • I'll think I'll offer Managed Idle Hosting as well, as well as monitoring. And block storage.

    Maybe resource pools.

    Well, no way I'll get this done by Black Friday...gonna need more venture capital.

    My Advice: VPS Advice

    For LET support, please click here.

    Thanked by 1MikePT
  • @wss those wiki pages severely lack a mention of dnsdist imho, I usually place it in front of $dns_server_software and it's great

  • @mfs said: @wss those wiki pages severely lack a mention of dnsdist imho, I usually place it in front of $dns_server_software and it's great

    dnsdist is a load balancer made by PowerDNS, isn't it? It's not specifically the nameserver, per se.

    I won't be back until @bsdguy is released.

  • WSS said: dnsdist is a load balancer made by PowerDNS, isn't it? It's not specifically the nameserver, per se.

    correct, it does help in "sanitizing" the requests to the underlying nameserver(s) whilst load-balancing and eventually implementing dnscrypt and whatnot. Not even the PowerDNS wiki page seems to mention it

  • It probably isn't mentioned because last I recalled it was an interpreted language. Looks like it still is. Lua may be fast, but I don't think I'd want that in front of my services; I'd rather have Juniper.

    I'm assuming as it isn't directly the service, it doesn't fall under the WP guidelines.

    I won't be back until @bsdguy is released.

  • It's mostly C++ with lua configs; it fits nicely in a cheap VPS too and even if it won't replace more complex and appropriate solutions, it's being used in production.

    The PowerDNS wikipedia page mentions the authoritative server, the recursor but not dnsdist probably to fit into those comparisons schemes, right, yet it's one of the three main products on the company's homepage and in their repo. In the same wiki page there's even mention of the (unrelated) "pdnsd, a caching DNS proxy" to "disambiguate" it from PowerDNS, yet no mentions of the PowerDNS product itself. Well, I was just throwing my 2¢ here

  • So, edit the page.

    I won't be back until @bsdguy is released.

  • I've seen people signing up and debate on wikipedia talk pages about gory details of some technical articles related to their field of study/expertise/interest, and it's invariably pretty painful to observe their evolution in the distance; I'll pass

    Neoon said: some kind of LET cloud storage.

    When we would get enough servers together. P2P, encrypted.

    storjLET?

Sign In or Register to comment.