Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID
Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

In this Discussion

VMHaus Outtage today
New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

VMHaus Outtage today

vovivovi Member

A little disappointed to see a 75minute outage today on my VMHaus VPS.

I have just recently moved to them having seen a recommendation on here. Up to now it has all been an excellent experience, but this length of outtage with no communication is not good.

I'm seriously hoping this is a one off, or I will be moving again. (deep sigh)

Comments

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Top Provider

There was an outage at Clouvider, completely 100% beyond the control of VMHaus, it impacted a few hosts here.

I won't get into the specifics as I am waiting for the official RFO.

• AmitzAmitz Moderator
    edited January 11

Sure it has nothing to do with this?
    http://www.bbs.bz/discussion/134458/your-intel-x86-cpu-is-deeply-flawed-meltdown-spectre

Most providers have outages right now because they care and update their stuff...

Community Rules | Rules for selling | LET Support Desk
    "Actually, throughout my life, my two greatest assets have been mental stability and being, like, really smart."

• vmhausvmhaus Top Provider
    edited January 11

Hello Vovi,

Today's outage had been once again a head-scratcher. We experienced outages with our upstream Clouvider and thus our LINX London 1 port. However, our LINX LON2 port remained up, which allowed for very partial connectivity. We were alerted within 30 seconds of the outage affecting our platform and worked with Dom from Clouvider to attempt to resolve the issue, our services returned fully within 90 minutes.

Despite this, we have begun brainstorming and will begin some discussions to avoid this in the future. We aim to have an RFO out shortly once we have obtained one from Clouvider, we will attempt to disclose some of our plans to prevent such an outage again.

Should you have any questions please can you contact us at the ticket desk at https://bonsai.vmhaus.com and we can work together to attempt to resolve any queries or worries you have regarding our platform.

Regards,
    VMHaus

VMHaus - High Performance NVMe SSD Cloud Servers, Free Anti-DDoS, Free BGP Sessions
    Follow us on twitter | Network Info (AS136620) | Service Status | Looking Glass

• NekkiNekki Member

@vovi said: A little disappointed to see a 75minute outage today on my VMHaus VPS.

I have just recently moved to them having seen a recommendation on here. Up to now it has all been an excellent experience, but this length of outtage with no communication is not good.

I'm seriously hoping this is a one off, or I will be moving again. (deep sigh)

Millenials.

• vovivovi Member

Of course I'm not against controlled, planned outtages for updates, but lets be honest who would do that without telling their customers? Seems a bit unlikely it was this to me. Even more alarm bells if it was.

@Amitz said: Sure it has nothing to do with this?
    http://www.bbs.bz/discussion/134458/your-intel-x86-cpu-is-deeply-flawed-meltdown-spectre

Most providers have outages right now because they care and update their stuff...

Negative, we are awaiting a patch from Supermicro to allow us to mitigate the flaws, Spectre and Meltdown. We have been watching closely for the releases of the Supermicro BIOS (seen here and unfortunately we are the final board of the Microcloud/blade range to receive the patch. In saying this overnight 20 patches for products were released including 3 for the MicroCloud/Blade range, we are hoping for SuperMicro to release the patch either today or tomorrow.

VMHaus - High Performance NVMe SSD Cloud Servers, Free Anti-DDoS, Free BGP Sessions

Thanked by 1vovi
  • deankdeank Member
    edited January 11

I hope men won't ditch their wives just because she has an off day in a bed.

LET-Lives-Matter | I am a sarcastic troll and has a fetish in PMS. For kids, PMS means "Premenstrual syndrome" and guys can have PMS.

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • vmhaus said: we are the final board of the Microcloud/blade range to receive the patch

If you have a rep, ask your rep for the patch, and you'll likely have it same day.

If you don't have a rep, and you're at the level where you're buying Microclouds, you really need a rep.

@Damian said:

vmhaus said: we are the final board of the Microcloud/blade range to receive the patch

If you have a rep, ask your rep for the patch, and you'll likely have it same day.

If you don't have a rep, and you're at the level where you're buying Microclouds, you really need a rep.

Hello,

We do not directly deal with the reps, the patch is not yet ready and they estimate it to be released in the next few days

• I was fine. Glad it was restored quickly thanks.

For a second I thought I broke it somehow but than I lucked at the website and saw every Lundon server was effected. So I didn't do it! :)

And justice will come upon the scammers like a strike from a Hammer.

• Hmm, I wonder why Dom his self not said anything probably hiding somewhere. @clouvider

• TomTom Member

Experienced the same outage on Clouvider today on both of my boxes in THN2, I believe Enfield was unaffected.

I recommend VMHaus, anyNode, RamNode, AlphaVPS and HostUS.

• hawchawc Member, Moderator

Deadpool

Thanked by 1FrankZ
  • TomTom Member

deadpool, can confirm

Thanked by 1FrankZ
  • NeoonNeoon Member

Why do providers even advertise 100% Uptime?

"Redundant internet and power connections, distributed storage and cloud technology means there is no single point of failure for genuine 100% uptime."

Nonsense.

• @Neoon said: Why do providers even advertise 100% Uptime?

"Redundant internet and power connections, distributed storage and cloud technology means there is no single point of failure for genuine 100% uptime."

Nonsense.

When you're the one running the business, points of failure are hard to see/accept. Sometimes it takes instances like this to see your shortcomings, and from there you can learn.
    I'm sure @Clouvider had no intention of this happening and likely had several measures in place to mitigate the issue too, but until that day comes where everything goes to shit, no one can ever be sure. His 100% uptime quote I have no doubt he fully believes in, and instances like this will hurt him emotionally. I guarantee that because of this failure, he'll implement something to prevent this happening again. Dom's good like that :-)

NVMe KVM VPS in Amsterdam, Stockholm and LA ($2.50/1GB RAM/10GB NVMe/month) (AFF LINK)

• AidanAidan Member

This is exactly why I'm with VMHaus, a problem occurred & they actively did their best to correct it.

Shit happens, still above 99.9% uptime.

https://uptime.is

Thanked by 2FrankZ vmhaus
  • vovi said: A little disappointed to see a 75minute outage today on my VMHaus VPS.

Well, slap my ass and call me Sally! You had 75 whole minutes of downtime? It's more than fair to be disappointed! I suppose you lost millions!
    Seriously, now, your 2 (!) contributions to LET are"
    1. you signed here to... vote for VMHouse
    2. came back one week later to bash them for a 75 minutes outage.

I agree: sigh

• If a program actually fits in memory and has enough disk space, it is guaranteed to crash.
    • If such a program has not crashed yet, it is waiting for a critical moment before it crashes.

• NeoonNeoon Member

@jvnadr said: 1. you signed here to... vote for VMHouse
    2. came back one week later to bash them for a 75 minutes outage.

I agree: sigh

He did not see it comming.

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • NeoonNeoon Member

@jackhadrill said: When you're the one running the business, points of failure are hard to see/accept. Sometimes it takes instances like this to see your shortcomings, and from there you can learn.

When you run a business, you need to accept your failures, you need to be willing to fail, if you are not willing to fail, do not run a business.

Even when your company goes bankrupt, you gained experince, and you go an try it again.

instances like this will hurt him emotionally.

I don't think so, I saw him posting a few minutes ago, he did not quoted my post.
    Seems like he ignores it, so he is fine.

• Yup once again I was right about downtime.

• JackJack Member, Provider

@Tom said: Experienced the same outage on Clouvider today on both of my boxes in THN2, I believe Enfield was unaffected.

Premium MPLS bug.

• HxxxHxxx Member

75 minutes god damn. Are providers like Azure and Amazon having these large outages too because of patching those CPU vuln or is just a money talk scenario?

• @Xaavier said: Hmm, I wonder why Dom his self not said anything probably hiding somewhere. @clouvider

He's probably still offline.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Top Provider
    edited January 11

100% uptime is a target, not a guarantee and forms part of the service level agreement, it is an ambitious target I will agree but clouvider hold themselves to a high standard.

I cant tell if some of the snot-nosed remarks in here are meant in humor or if people really are this ignorant to the way things work in the real world, I hope it is not the latter.

• quickquick Member
    edited January 11

Your Cloud Server will be housed in a London datacentre with excellent network connectivity. We offer100% SLA for Network, Power and Environment.

• RhysRhys Member
    edited January 11

Everyone's quick to shoot shots but if/when you get to read the RFO, the amount of downtime at Clouvider is extremely low considering the circumstances surrounding the outage.

EDIT: I'd post it but I'd assume Dom would like to do that himself when his day from hell is over.

I recommend hosting at anyNode.

• jarlandjarland Administrator
    edited January 11

@Hxxx said: 75 minutes god damn. Are providers like Azure and Amazon having these large outages too because of patching those CPU vuln or is just a money talk scenario?

When you pay enough that it becomes reasonable to live migrate you as though nothing happened, that's where the difference comes in on that particular scenario. I know that's what one of the big names were doing, Google or Microsoft just can't remember which.

But yeah, having spare hardware capable of housing everyone is definitely a high cost target.

• jarland said: When you pay enough that it becomes reasonable to live migrate you as though nothing happened, that's where the difference comes in on that particular scenario.

One of my providers did that too, host machines patched without rebooting VMs. But as you say cost/VM is lot higher.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited January 11

Hxxx said: Are providers like Azure and Amazon having these large outages too because of patching those CPU vuln or is just a money talk scenario?

Are providers like Azure and Amazone charging the same money like VMHouse or, even, Cloudvider? Of course it's money talk. If you could buy a Porsche with the money a Piccanto costs, then, why chose the latter?

• If a program actually fits in memory and has enough disk space, it is guaranteed to crash.
    • If such a program has not crashed yet, it is waiting for a critical moment before it crashes.

• NekkiNekki Member

@jarland said:

@Hxxx said: 75 minutes god damn. Are providers like Azure and Amazon having these large outages too because of patching those CPU vuln or is just a money talk scenario?

When you pay enough that it becomes reasonable to live migrate you as though nothing happened, that's where the difference comes in on that particular scenario. I know that's what one of the big names were doing, Google or Microsoft just can't remember which.

But yeah, having spare hardware capable of housing everyone is definitely a high cost target.

Definitely wasn’t MS. They’ve made a complete mess of the whole situation.

Their live migration stuff is apparently coming ‘soon’ for VMs. Works fantastically well for the MS SQL Pools.

• zedzed Member

@jvnadr said:

vovi said: A little disappointed to see a 75minute outage today on my VMHaus VPS.

1. came back one week later to bash them for a 75 minutes outage.

you literally quoted him saying he was a little disapointed, and called it bashing. you might be too sensitive for the internet.

At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought.

• WSSWSS Member

@zed said:

@jvnadr said:

vovi said: A little disappointed to see a 75minute outage today on my VMHaus VPS.

you literally quoted him saying he was a little disapointed, and called it bashing. you might be too sensitive for the internet.

Might be too sensitive for pampers.

@partymonger said: Actually math is pretty much my thing. I was just hoping someone already did the calculation
    upto32.com - neckbeard nerdiness.

• MikePTMikePT Member, Provider
    edited January 12

Dunno which DC is hosting my server there but in case that was in the DC I am hosted at, I would appreciate at least an email. @Clouvider?

MXroute.io - SMTP Relay Service, powered by MailChannels, fully automated, LET plans

MXroute.com - Email Hosting, powered by MailChannels

• @WSS said:

@zed said:

@jvnadr said:

Might be too sensitive for pampers.

@zed forgot to read the OP last sentence

I'm seriously hoping this is a one off, or I will be moving again.

millenials ? :D

• kassle said: millenials ? :D

Why not move? Eventually they will get tired.

Extremist conservative user, I wish to preserve human and civil rights, free speech, freedom of the press and worship, rule of law, democracy, peace and prosperity, social mobility, etc. Now you can draw your guns.

• @Maounique said:

kassle said: millenials ? :D

Why not move? Eventually they will get tired.

i bet they won't

their words is sharp, but dull in other else

• RhysRhys Member

@MikePT said: Dunno which DC is hosting my server there but in case that was in the DC I am hosted at, I would appreciate at least an email. @Clouvider?

An email was sent.

I recommend hosting at anyNode.

@Rhys said:

@MikePT said: Dunno which DC is hosting my server there but in case that was in the DC I am hosted at, I would appreciate at least an email. @Clouvider?

An email was sent.

Didnt get it so I must be in the other one, apologies.

MXroute.io - SMTP Relay Service, powered by MailChannels, fully automated, LET plans

• IshaqIshaq Member, Provider
    edited January 12

@MikePT said: Didnt get it so I must be in the other one, apologies.

EDIT: Tickets were opened with customers to provide RFO.

[BudgetNode] DDoS Protected. 7 Locations (US/EU). Check out our latest offer!

@Ishaq said:

Only people who opened tickets were provided a RFO.

Thats not right. I would expect the RFO as well in case im in the same DC.

Thanked by 1adly
  • IshaqIshaq Member, Provider

@MikePT said: Thats not right. I would expect the RFO as well in case im in the same DC.

Maybe you were in a different DC, not sure.

[BudgetNode] DDoS Protected. 7 Locations (US/EU). Check out our latest offer!

@Ishaq said:

@MikePT said: Thats not right. I would expect the RFO as well in case im in the same DC.

Yeah probably. Personally didn't notice any downtime nor Nixstats.

• I think 100% uptime mentioned on the website is meant for Cloud VM's only right? VMH. could be running a rack or more so 100% uptime doesn't apply to Dedicated servers.

time wasters please dont comment as we are a serious buyer
    Programmer trying to do Logo Designs

@sdglhm said: I think 100% uptime mentioned on the website is meant for Cloud VM's only right? VMH. could be running a rack or more so 100% uptime doesn't apply to Dedicated servers.

Dunno. We have been with Dom for a few months and so far so good. Excellent network. No downtime noticed or caught by our monitors until now. Love the service.

• TomTom Member

@Ishaq said:

Only people who opened tickets were provided a RFO.

Huh, I didn't open a ticket and got a ticket opened by Dom with the RFO

• TomTom Member

@MikePT said:

@Ishaq said:

Are you in THN2?

@Tom said:

@MikePT said:

@Ishaq said:

Are you in THN2?

I need to check that when I get to the laptop. No idea at all.

• TomTom Member

@MikePT said:

@Tom said:

@MikePT said:

@Ishaq said:

Are you in THN2?

I need to check that when I get to the laptop. No idea at all.

I mean if you weren't down then you're not ;-)