Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID
Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

In this Discussion

ASN with IPv4 and IPv6 Space

ASN with IPv4 and IPv6 Space

preprocesspreprocess Member
edited April 16 in Requests

Hello!

I'm a student who is building a rather intricate home lab in the name of fun and technology (I'm 17).

I would like to purchase an ASN so that I can do BGP, along with a block of IPv4 if possible (/24 is the min I can advertise I think?) and some IPv6. These must all include LOA.

If you know where I can get this cheap, please let me know. Also is ip6.im good? Do you know if they include any v6/v4 free?

Thanks.

Tagged:

Comments

  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Provider
    edited April 16

    I doubt you can be assigned an ASN from a RIR under the age of 18.

    Has anyone done that ? Can anyone chime in ?

    What’s the legal age for signing up to liabilities in the Netherlands ? Since OP mentioned ip6.im I’m assuming this is RIPE region.

    Clouvider Leading UK Cloud Hosting solution provider || UK Dedicated Servers Sale || Tasty KVM Slices || Latest LET Offer

    Web hosting in Cloud | SSD & SAS True Cloud VPS on OnApp | Private Cloud | Dedicated Servers | Colocation | Managed Services

  • preprocesspreprocess Member
    edited April 16

    @Clouvider said: I doubt you can be assigned an ASN from a RIR under the age of 18.

    Has anyone done that ? Can anyone chime in ?

    What’s the legal age for signing up to liabilities in the Netherlands ? Since OP mentioned ip6.im I’m assuming this is RIPE region.

    I know that in the UK I can be legally bound to contracts. Not sure about other regions.

  • AlexanderMAlexanderM Top Provider

    @preprocess said:

    @Clouvider said: I doubt you can be assigned an ASN from a RIR under the age of 18.

    Has anyone done that ? Can anyone chime in ?

    What’s the legal age for signing up to liabilities in the Netherlands ? Since OP mentioned ip6.im I’m assuming this is RIPE region.

    I know that in the UK I can be legally bound to contracts. Not sure about other regions.

    No, in the UK you need to be 18+ to be legally bound to a contact

    Alex

    HostUS | OpenVZ & KVM VPS in 10 worldwide locations with our own Breeze Panel!
    AS7489 | View our network | 2017 Holiday Special Offers!

  • spectraipspectraip Member, Provider

    I have a customer who was 16 years old when I have registrated his ASN via RIPE, so it is possible.

    Thanked by 3Clouvider sbakker FHR
  • preprocesspreprocess Member
    edited April 16

    @AlexanderM said:

    @preprocess said:

    @Clouvider said: I doubt you can be assigned an ASN from a RIR under the age of 18.

    Has anyone done that ? Can anyone chime in ?

    What’s the legal age for signing up to liabilities in the Netherlands ? Since OP mentioned ip6.im I’m assuming this is RIPE region.

    I know that in the UK I can be legally bound to contracts. Not sure about other regions.

    No, in the UK you need to be 18+ to be legally bound to a contact

    Alex

    Is the age different for employment contracts or something then? I signed an NDA, employment contract and a few others when getting a job.

  • preprocesspreprocess Member
    edited April 16

    @spectraip said: I have a customer who was 16 years old when I have registrated his ASN via RIPE, so it is possible.

    If you're Lucas, I'll message you on Discord about this.

  • AlexanderMAlexanderM Top Provider

    @preprocess said:

    @AlexanderM said:

    @preprocess said:

    @Clouvider said: I doubt you can be assigned an ASN from a RIR under the age of 18.

    Has anyone done that ? Can anyone chime in ?

    What’s the legal age for signing up to liabilities in the Netherlands ? Since OP mentioned ip6.im I’m assuming this is RIPE region.

    I know that in the UK I can be legally bound to contracts. Not sure about other regions.

    No, in the UK you need to be 18+ to be legally bound to a contact

    Alex

    Is the age different for employment contracts or something then? I signed an NDA, employment contract and a few others when getting a job.

    Yes, different thing

    HostUS | OpenVZ & KVM VPS in 10 worldwide locations with our own Breeze Panel!
    AS7489 | View our network | 2017 Holiday Special Offers!

  • I have decided to use SpectraIP for my IPs and ASN.

  • randvegetarandvegeta Member, Provider

    No reason you cant get an ASN / IPv4 / IPv6 alloctaion just because you're 17. Plenty of actual kids have obtained it direct the RIR. Though I think they did so as a company.

  • KoreyKorey Member

    @preprocess said:

    @AlexanderM said:

    @preprocess said:

    @Clouvider said: I doubt you can be assigned an ASN from a RIR under the age of 18.

    Has anyone done that ? Can anyone chime in ?

    What’s the legal age for signing up to liabilities in the Netherlands ? Since OP mentioned ip6.im I’m assuming this is RIPE region.

    I know that in the UK I can be legally bound to contracts. Not sure about other regions.

    No, in the UK you need to be 18+ to be legally bound to a contact

    Alex

    Is the age different for employment contracts or something then? I signed an NDA, employment contract and a few others when getting a job.

    Employment contract is different.

  • MasonRMasonR Moderator

    If you're just getting your feet wet with BGP and routing, I'd highly suggest becoming a part of the DN42 (https://dn42.net/Home) community. Zero cost to get started so you're not burning cash when just starting out. After you get a good grasp on things, then move into the leased IPs realm.

    Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • FHRFHR Member

    @MasonR said: If you're just getting your feet wet with BGP and routing, I'd highly suggest becoming a part of the DN42 (https://dn42.net/Home) community. Zero cost to get started so you're not burning cash when just starting out. After you get a good grasp on things, then move into the leased IPs realm.

    The benefit of DN42 is also that you don't break the internet in the event that someone forgets to prefix-filter properly.

    Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Provider

    Yep. Running a network is a privilege and responsibility.

    Clouvider Leading UK Cloud Hosting solution provider || UK Dedicated Servers Sale || Tasty KVM Slices || Latest LET Offer

    Web hosting in Cloud | SSD & SAS True Cloud VPS on OnApp | Private Cloud | Dedicated Servers | Colocation | Managed Services

Sign In or Register to comment.