Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID
Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

In this Discussion

What kind of VPN for Airplane WiFi? (~100 Mbps planewide satelite connection)
New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

What kind of VPN for Airplane WiFi? (~100 Mbps planewide satelite connection)

stefemanstefeman Member
edited May 12 in General

The airplane company blocks selectively services like Netflix and Whatsapp sound calls due limited bandwidth on air. My question is mainly, how to get around this with VPN connection.

I wish to listen Spotify or watch Youtube/Twitch at 360-480p resolution on the 10 hours flight. I'm fairly sure VPN's are blocked or at least heavily restricted to remote drives/company networks only.

What do I need to be able to enjoy Spotify, Youtube and twitch.tv on flight? I was thinking of this: https://www.goldenfrog.com/vyprvpn/chameleon

My Android is rooted.

«1

Comments

  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited May 12

    If a VPN unblocks it I guess Ivacy will work just fine. Vypr is said to be "premium" but I never liked it for some reason.

    If you are looking for something chameleon like/obfusion, NordVPN has obfusion/doublevpn and vpn over tor. LiquidVPN (never tested) has some sorts multihop page loading, loadibg each element of a website with another IP and Perfect Privacy has Neuro Routing.

  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Provider

    So, why do you want to circumvent the measures ensuring good quality of service for all other pssangers?

    Don’t be abusive.

    Clouvider Leading UK Cloud Hosting solution provider || UK Dedicated Servers Sale || Tasty KVM Slices || Latest LET Offer

    Web hosting in Cloud | SSD & SAS True Cloud VPS on OnApp | Private Cloud | Dedicated Servers | Colocation | Managed Services

  • deankdeank Member

    Is this why we can't have nice things for everyone?

    Morningwoodhosting. Somebody get it now.

  • AuroraZAuroraZ Member

    @deank said: Is this why we can't have nice things for everyone?

    Probably

    Dont'TalkAboutLetClub Free @WSS!! Free @WSS!!

    upto32.com Retro at it's best

    Thanked by 2Clouvider Ole_Juul
  • RamiRami Member

    @stefeman said: due limited bandwidth on air.

    Then it's not right to use VPN, it's like stealing from other passengers (Just my opinion)

  • HyperSpeedHyperSpeed Member
    edited May 13

    @Clouvider said: So, why do you want to circumvent the measures ensuring good quality of service for all other pssangers?

    Don’t be abusive.

    This, we just rolled out free Wi-Fi to visitors and within a 24-hr period generally see 2K or so people within a 24-hr period, give or take and they're all sharing a 1G connection never-mind 200-300 people stashed into a confined space.

    For the purposes of licensing etc we've disabled iPlayer etc and honestly I've tried to overcome the restrictions with all kinds of VPN and it depends on the provider of the service but I personally cannot get past the one we've installed using all types or method. If they're a good provider (which is likely in the Areospace industry) then you'll really struggle and in my honest opinion I see your point and need but why should others suffer and be unable to use it because one user is consuming all the limited bandwidth? Try downloading things from spotify/netflix to a device prior to the flight.

    They're also likely to have enabled QoS per user at such a limited rate you'll struggle to stream anything as it's based on the MAC of the device.

    Jr System Administrator

  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Provider

    Stefeman, if I remember correctly, was the one looking to mine BTC on the employer provided electricity so there’s that.

    Clouvider Leading UK Cloud Hosting solution provider || UK Dedicated Servers Sale || Tasty KVM Slices || Latest LET Offer

    Web hosting in Cloud | SSD & SAS True Cloud VPS on OnApp | Private Cloud | Dedicated Servers | Colocation | Managed Services

  • stefemanstefeman Member
    edited May 12

    @Clouvider said: Stefeman, if I remember correctly, was the one looking to mine BTC on the employer provided electricity so there’s that.

    No, I was the one who insisted it being wrong.

    http://www.bbs.bz/discussion/127490/will-you-start-bitcoin-mining-if-power-is-free

    How about you check before accusing me of such things. Takes 2 minutes to google the thread with keywords "stefeman lowendtalk bitcoin electrcity".

  • stefemanstefeman Member

    @HyperSpeed said:

    This, we just rolled out free Wi-Fi to visitors and within a 24-hr period generally see 2K or so people within a 24-hr period, give or take and they're all sharing a 1G connection never-mind 200-300 people stashed into a confined space.

    For the purposes of licensing etc we've disabled iPlayer etc and honestly I've tried to overcome the restrictions with all kinds of VPN and it depends on the provider of the service but I personally cannot get past the one we've installed using all types or method. If they're a good provider (which is likely in the Areospace industry) then you'll really struggle and in my honest opinion I see your point and need but why should others suffer and be unable to use it because one user is consuming all the limited bandwidth? Try downloading things from spotify/netflix to a device prior to the flight.

    They're also likely to have enabled QOS per user at such a limited rate you'll struggle to stream anything as it's based on the MAC of the device.

    If its based on MAC of the device, which I'm also pretty sure it is, then anything I would attempt to gain more bandwidth is futile anyhow. Reason I asked here is because if any other people had similar experiences or even tried this. And another reason being figuring the cons of doing this.

  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Provider

    @stefeman said:

    @Clouvider said: Stefeman, if I remember correctly, was the one looking to mine BTC on the employer provided electricity so there’s that.

    No, I was the one who insisted it being wrong.

    Please accept my apologies. I’m not afraid to say sorry when a mistake is made.

    Clouvider Leading UK Cloud Hosting solution provider || UK Dedicated Servers Sale || Tasty KVM Slices || Latest LET Offer

    Web hosting in Cloud | SSD & SAS True Cloud VPS on OnApp | Private Cloud | Dedicated Servers | Colocation | Managed Services

  • deankdeank Member

    Accept my apologies as well, for saying "The end is nigh" too many times.

    Oh, buggers. I've said it once more.

    The end is nigh.

    Aw, crap.

    Outta here.

    Morningwoodhosting. Somebody get it now.

  • hacktekhacktek Member

    lol just download and watch offline. Is it that hard to do before you take your flight? If there's one thing I hate about planes/hotels is not being able to browse in peace cause there's some jackass abusing the hell out of bandwidth for no reason other than being a jackass

  • corbpiecorbpie Member

    @Clouvider said: So, why do you want to circumvent the measures ensuring good quality of service for all other pssangers?

    Don’t be abusive.

    Its lowend talk, let the people have what they want. I'd prefer to go to WHT to read about a user being scolded for inconsiderate usage

    grape

  • vimalwarevimalware Member

    '10 uninterrupted hours' is a hackers wet dream in 2018. Pack some interesting language/library/framework 's tutorial + documentation before you board.

    For music, I still treasure my Sansa Clip pre-loaded with my favourite albums and an audiobook if I'm desperate enough.

    I'm just an older millenial though.

  • doghouchdoghouch Member

    Why not use Spotify’s download function? You’ll 1) save some of the plane’s limited bandwidth and 2) have music even if the link goes down.

    Why not check my site (https://dawgy.pw) out? If you need to upload a few GIFs, give https://i.dawgy.pw a try <3

  • jetchiragjetchirag Member

    @doghouch said: Why not use Spotify’s download function? You’ll 1) save some of the plane’s limited bandwidth and 2) have music even if the link goes down.

    but, but, then other passengers will be able to access internet too

    Et tu, brute?

  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Provider

    @corbpie said:

    @Clouvider said: So, why do you want to circumvent the measures ensuring good quality of service for all other pssangers?

    Don’t be abusive.

    Its lowend talk, let the people have what they want. I'd prefer to go to WHT to read about a user being scolded for inconsiderate usage

    Your preference is dully noted.

    Clouvider Leading UK Cloud Hosting solution provider || UK Dedicated Servers Sale || Tasty KVM Slices || Latest LET Offer

    Web hosting in Cloud | SSD & SAS True Cloud VPS on OnApp | Private Cloud | Dedicated Servers | Colocation | Managed Services

    Thanked by 1Aidan
  • solairesolaire Member

    Netflix can usually be accessed through different means (the screen right in front of you).

    It's very simple to get a VPN connection in place by using openvpn over port 443, TCP. But as mentioned before, don't be a dick and don't abuse the bandwidth if no QoS is in place.

  • Ole_JuulOle_Juul Member

    Like others have said, download some things before you leave. That way you'll not have any BW issues and it'll be a good experience. Just use the available bandwidth to check email and, of course, IRC. :)

    Thanked by 2Clouvider that_guy
  • I know you can get a free ssh tunnel around the captive portal with iodine on trans atlantic flights :)

    But to abuse it with high BW? Nah, download upfront man.

  • As a rule, if I'm a few miles up in the air in a hurtling tin-can I'm inclined to follow whatever rules the airline makes.

    Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • ahmiqahmiq Member

    do they really block it? atleast on Lufthansa you pay like 16 Euro for the whole intercontinental flight and whatsapp / youtube worked fine most of the time. No data limits on this package. may be other airlines have different packages.

  • @ahmiq said: do they really block it? atleast on Lufthansa you pay like 16 Euro for the whole intercontinental flight and whatsapp / youtube worked fine most of the time. No data limits on this package. may be other airlines have different packages.

    Probably, it's not like you can tie a fibre optic cable to the plane so bandwidth tends to be limited and/or expensive.

  • florianbflorianb Member

    Quite humbling to read crap like "stealing from other passengers". QoS rules are usually enforced on a per-device basis, so whether that's a VPN streaming from Spotify or a file download without VPN - it does not matter at the slightest.

  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Provider

    @florianb said: Quite humbling to read crap like "stealing from other passengers". QoS rules are usually enforced on a per-device basis, so whether that's a VPN streaming from Spotify or a file download without VPN - it does not matter at the slightest.

    It matters. They don’t want you to access these services. You sign a contract and use the service as they offer. If you try to override the block you’re playing against the rules = you abuse.

    Not that I’m surprised with your stance here though.

    Clouvider Leading UK Cloud Hosting solution provider || UK Dedicated Servers Sale || Tasty KVM Slices || Latest LET Offer

    Web hosting in Cloud | SSD & SAS True Cloud VPS on OnApp | Private Cloud | Dedicated Servers | Colocation | Managed Services

  • raindog308raindog308 Moderator

    OP is about to discover that VPN is not a magic get-out-of-QoS card. Gogo or whoever is just not going to let you stream.

    I also suspect you’re not the first to try this and the CCIEs at the airline wifi company are well prepared.

    OP is about to discover that being a Dick doesn’t pay.

    If we were cruel, we’d give detailed bogus instructions and then let the OP suffer with an airline magazine for 10 hours...

    My Advice: VPS Advice

    For LET support, please click here.

  • stefemanstefeman Member

    @raindog308 said:

    If we were cruel, we’d give detailed bogus instructions and then let the OP suffer with an airline magazine for 10 hours...

    I might be dick but not an idiot to fall for those.

  • doghouchdoghouch Member

    @dragon2611 said:

    @ahmiq said: do they really block it? atleast on Lufthansa you pay like 16 Euro for the whole intercontinental flight and whatsapp / youtube worked fine most of the time. No data limits on this package. may be other airlines have different packages.

    Probably, it's not like you can tie a fibre optic cable to the plane so bandwidth tends to be limited and/or expensive.

    Pfft.

    Why not check my site (https://dawgy.pw) out? If you need to upload a few GIFs, give https://i.dawgy.pw a try <3

  • jvnadrjvnadr Member

    ahmiq said: do they really block it? atleast on Lufthansa you pay like 16 Euro for the whole intercontinental flight and whatsapp / youtube worked fine most of the time.

    it depends on the air carrier. here's a list with all airlines that offer wifi on board and what the cost is for what usage;

    https://www.edreams.com/blog/in-flight-wifi/

    • If a program actually fits in memory and has enough disk space, it is guaranteed to crash.
    • If such a program has not crashed yet, it is waiting for a critical moment before it crashes.

    Thanked by 1ahmiq
  • mrclownmrclown Member

    I doubt you would have bandwidth cap or speed limit even you have VPN. Be considerate for other passengers.

    "Download to watch/listen" is way to go. Or Otherwise enjoy their in-flight entertainment (usually most airlines offer)

    signature for rent - ^_^

    Thanked by 1ahmiq
  • Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Provider

    Interesting the planes I have been on that have the faster 100mbps uplinks actually advertise streaming video with it.

    Subnet Labs, LLC Contact Us Deploy to: Seattle, Dallas or NYC
    Impact VPS | Cloud Servers | Storage Servers | Impact Shared | Shared Hosting

  • JanevskiJanevski Member

    Forget internet, as long as the plane isn't falling you should be happy.

    Thanked by 2hostdare Claverhouse
  • raindog308raindog308 Moderator

    @Awmusic12635 said: Interesting the planes I have been on that have the faster 100mbps uplinks actually advertise streaming video with it.

    Intersting...the major US domestics specifically say their wifi will not work with streaming - e.g. gogo, ipass, etc. Which airlines are you referring to? Just curious.

    My Advice: VPS Advice

    For LET support, please click here.

  • Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Provider
    edited May 13

    raindog308 said: Intersting...the major US domestics specifically say their wifi will not work with streaming - e.g. gogo, ipass, etc. Which airlines are you referring to? Just curious.

    The planes that are equipped with gogo 2ku: https://www.gogoair.com/commercial/inflight-systems/2ku/

    I know at least delta and american support it in the US (though not every plane has it yet). A few of my planes on my trip to hawaii had it.

    Subnet Labs, LLC Contact Us Deploy to: Seattle, Dallas or NYC
    Impact VPS | Cloud Servers | Storage Servers | Impact Shared | Shared Hosting

  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Provider
    edited May 13

    The ones that feed of the ground supplied 4G might have the capability, but that wouldn’t work over the ocean.

    The satellite one above is actually quite interesting.

    Clouvider Leading UK Cloud Hosting solution provider || UK Dedicated Servers Sale || Tasty KVM Slices || Latest LET Offer

    Web hosting in Cloud | SSD & SAS True Cloud VPS on OnApp | Private Cloud | Dedicated Servers | Colocation | Managed Services

  • @Awmusic12635 said:

    raindog308 said: Intersting...the major US domestics specifically say their wifi will not work with streaming - e.g. gogo, ipass, etc. Which airlines are you referring to? Just curious.

    The planes that are equipped with gogo 2ku: https://www.gogoair.com/commercial/inflight-systems/2ku/

    I know at least delta and american support it in the US (though not every plane has it yet). A few of my planes on my trip to hawaii had it.

    Actually your post reminded me that like Virgin West-Coast Trains some airlines now hold an on-board drive with movies, TV series and you download an app to connect and obviously they find it more efficient for patient entertainment then letting people use YouTube etc

    Jr System Administrator

  • jon617jon617 Member
    edited May 13

    I downloaded a bunch of SLR camera tutorial videos from YouTube to my laptop before a flight to Thailand, and plugged in to the electrical outlet at the seat. Worked great. Used the knowledge to take great photos on my vacation!

  • @jon617 said: I downloaded a bunch of SLR camera tutorial videos from YouTube to my laptop before a flight to Thailand, and plugged in to the electrical outlet at the seat. Worked great. Used the knowledge to take great photos on my vacation!

    In before @Clouvider tells you that you broke your contract with YouTube by "downloading" content you were supposed to stream.

  • doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited May 14

    @Awmusic12635 said: Interesting the planes I have been on that have the faster 100mbps uplinks actually advertise streaming video with it.

    Gogo is fucking shit. (good luck streaming lol)

    Last time I used it, I got:

    Why not check my site (https://dawgy.pw) out? If you need to upload a few GIFs, give https://i.dawgy.pw a try <3

  • Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Provider

    doghouch said: Gogo is fucking shit. Last time I used it, I got:

    Yea the old tech sucks. New stuff is not too bad honestly. I was streaming youtube and twitch.

    Subnet Labs, LLC Contact Us Deploy to: Seattle, Dallas or NYC
    Impact VPS | Cloud Servers | Storage Servers | Impact Shared | Shared Hosting

  • Oh, this post is full of gems, it isn't even funny.

    When they mean 100mbps satellite for the entire plane, it probably means for every single plane in a geographic area that has the gear to transmit and receive data on.

    Imagine having hundreds of aircraft in the area, and all of them having at least a dozen people who's paid for in flight Wi-Fi access. Yep, that shared 100 meg bandwidth will be saturated so quick it isn't even funny. You'll understand why streaming on a commercial flight isn't feasible for the reasons above.

    Yes, I know a few companies are working on using LTE as a backhaul to mostly solve the issue of bandwidth by using small cells and hopefully it'll be available in the future so people can stream once we figure out the other part on getting large amounts of bandwidth delivered efficiently.

    Do what others have said here, get a book or get your media offline and enjoy your fight.

    Or find an airline that provides a WiFi network that can stream media stored locally on board the aircraft.

    BuyPrivacy | Privacy focused VPN's starting from $2.05/month | PayPal and CryptoCurrencies (BTC,BCC,DOGE,ETH and more) Accepted!

    Also, a .NET Core evangelist.

  • FlamesRunnerFlamesRunner Member
    edited May 14

    @TriJetScud

    Some airlines offer good in flight WiFi -- namely those with new satellite technology on board.

    Disclaimer: Well, if you consider 3 Mbit/s good anyway with horrendous 1+ second latency.

  • Ole_JuulOle_Juul Member
    edited May 14

    FlamesRunner said: if you consider 3 Mbit/s good

    That's what I have at home and it is indeed good. I wouldn't mind something faster for big downloads, but streaming is fine.

  • jon617jon617 Member
    edited May 14

    @elwebmaster said: you broke your contract with YouTube by "downloading" content you were supposed to stream.

    Streamed the content at 0 feet, played from "enhanced cache" (aka hard drive) at 32,000 feet while on the go!

    Thanked by 2Clouvider Ole_Juul
  • raindog308raindog308 Moderator

    Some people view a few hours of unreachability to be a blessing rather than an ordeal...

    My Advice: VPS Advice

    For LET support, please click here.

  • doghouchdoghouch Member

    @raindog308 said: Some people view a few hours of unreachability to be a blessing rather than an ordeal...

    But, but...

    Why not check my site (https://dawgy.pw) out? If you need to upload a few GIFs, give https://i.dawgy.pw a try <3

  • salakissalakis Member

    No experience with US carriers, but on my usual Europe - Asia trips I have mixed experiences. Best WiFi so far was on Cathay Pacific A359, but it ain't cheap. Emirates A380 is somewhat free, but "limited" at best. Expect regional hickups and fluctuations, particularly over Russia in all cases. Either way, I would just feel bad for burning too much data on in-flight WiFi, especially since downloading stuff in advance isn't too much of a hassle. Also VPNs do not always work even if you pay, Shadowsocks on port 443 is your friend. If you're very desperate and need some minor messaging, try tunneling through DNS - iodine is the way to go, but it's very very very slow. However, it surprisingly works with a lot of paid hotspots all over the world, not just on planes.

  • @salakis said: No experience with US carriers, but on my usual Europe - Asia trips I have mixed experiences. Best WiFi so far was on Cathay Pacific A359, but it ain't cheap. Emirates A380 is somewhat free, but "limited" at best. Expect regional hickups and fluctuations, particularly over Russia in all cases. Either way, I would just feel bad for burning too much data on in-flight WiFi, especially since downloading stuff in advance isn't too much of a hassle. Also VPNs do not always work even if you pay, Shadowsocks on port 443 is your friend. If you're very desperate and need some minor messaging, try tunneling through DNS - iodine is the way to go, but it's very very very slow. However, it surprisingly works with a lot of paid hotspots all over the world, not just on planes.

    CX's A350's come with the latest satellite tech anyways, so I'm not surprised that it performs pretty well compared to other airliners.

    After all, Airbus did pull a 8+ hour stress test with their employees pretty much (ab)using the aircraft as a passenger.

    BuyPrivacy | Privacy focused VPN's starting from $2.05/month | PayPal and CryptoCurrencies (BTC,BCC,DOGE,ETH and more) Accepted!

    Also, a .NET Core evangelist.

  • WilliamWilliam Member, Provider
    edited May 15

    The ideas here are fascinating.

    100Mbit is a dream over oceans, the in-light fast wifi you see in Europe and Asia is NOT SAT BASED, it uses a targeted LTE system which is unavailable over oceans.

    http://www.aviationtoday.com/2017/11/17/firsthand-look-smartskys-4g-lte-flight-connectivity/

    https://www.techrepublic.com/article/european-telecoms-set-to-launch-inflight-lte-powered-wi-fi-network/

    The Sat systems are what you see in US for example.... 3Mbit, sometimes 5Mbit, shared depending on what sat band used and how many flights are within the same spot. The LTE based systems have far less restrictions and offer 250Mbit+ with near seamless handover.

    KU Band does ~12Mbit on first gen tech and up to ~120Mbit on high power second gen (which is limited coverage/not fully deployed) - the BW is shared by all within one beam which can be as large as a country depending on angle/sat used.

    KA Band is newer and does better, with 25-75Mbit - Inmarsat offers this and the main difference is ~ doubled frequency from KU (12-18 vs. 25-40 Ghz). This is also shared, but the beams are smaller overall.

    Now the reality is way different to this already bad theoretical numbers - depending on angle, sat used, and capacity available on downlink/spot/beam you end up with 10Mbit on a high end system.

    This 10Mbit, unshared & flatrate, will cost you 5000-50000$ per month.

    Now you know why in-flight wifi is limited, sat tech is very complex and cannot keep up with ground based technology and the distance to anything fiber or even microwave (~200km) connectable to use as LTE uplink point are practically nil over the pacific/atlantic.

    https://www.gilat.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/KaVsKu.pdf - Gilat is a large Israeli telco specialised in sat internet (mostly as upstream for other ISPs)

    https://corpblog.viasat.com/viasats-new-ku-band-advanced-internet-ups-the-game-for-speed-on-business-jets/

    http://concourse.gogoair.com/capacity-debate-ku-vs-ka-band-connectivity/

    http://www.intelsat.com/global-network/satellites/epicng/ - Intelsat offers high power KU band services in some regions

    https://www.inmarsat.com/service/global-xpress/ - Inmarsat offers practically global KA band services among others

Sign In or Register to comment.